Saturday, April 9, 2011

Hospital Daze

     Another day up on the 5th floor.  Last night I convinced the nurses to leave me alone from 8pm until 6am, at night this seemed like a good way to get 10 hours of uninterrupted sleep I failed to appreciate what 10 hours without medication would feel like.
     The morning was a step beyond horrible.   While the nurses seemed to take a decent amount of pleasure from the failure of my medicine free evening, they were kind enough to pour some much needed narcotics down my veins which instantly put me back to sleep.
     Most of my day was spent griping about my foley catheter, slowly walking the halls of the unit, or smearing food around my tray.  I'm still waiting on the final pathology report from my surgery.  The presumed diagnosis is a Mesolthelioma, however the prognosis and next steps depend on the results of the pending pathology.  The divergence of options and outcomes at that point is staggering, and enough to drive you crazy over a weekend. It would clearly kill a pathologist to set foot on hospital property between Friday and Monday morning so I'm expecting tomorrow to be much like today
    There has been some talk about me going home in the next day or so, which is both encouraging and slightly unnerving.  My walking is improving each day, but I still have 3-4 wires and tubes connected to me at all times, so things need to be simplified before I start making firm plans.
Me with a "therapy dog" Apparently he was training to be a seeing eye dog and then went blind.
 With his crazy looking eyes I was afraid that he might attack me.

Before
After

     I did get to see my wound, it was very kind of the surgeons to save my belly button, as a scar through that region would look horrible with my new bathing suit.

No comments:

Post a Comment